How does breastfeeding benefit the mother?
- Eat more and lose weight faster: A breastfeeding mother needs 500 extra calories a day because the body burns that amount while breastfeeding. She'll be back in her pre-pregnancy shape quickly.
- It's easy and convenient: There's nothing to buy or prepare so it gives the mother much more freedom. Breasts are always there and the milk is always warm and ready.
- The mother can snooze during night feedings
- There's a very special bond between Mother and Baby and it's the natural way to feed
- There's less spitting up, no stains and the poop doesn't smell!
- Protects against some breast and ovarian cancers: While breastfeeding, estrogen levels are very low. Research has shown that the longer you breastfeed, the risks for these cancers goes down
- MAY delay menstrual period: Again, estrogen levels are low and many women think they're well protected from conceiving, but ovulation may still occur
- It's an amazing confidence booster: Mothers are really able to use their natural ability
- Believe it or not, there is very little embarrassment: It's easy to nurse discreetly and modestly
- Feels awesome